Friday, August 30, 2013

Trip East: Mt. Vernon

Scott and I were able to get away for several hours without the kids and go to the home of George Washington, Mt. Vernon.  Of the 42 years he owned this residence, he was only able to live there for a total of 20 somewhat interrupted years.  I was amazed at the amount of constant guests he and Martha entertained almost constantly.  He was always a very gracious and kind host, but visitors became such a regular occurrence that he added a separate and closed off wing of the house just for him and his family to sometimes get away from the crowds.  I found the entire experience very interesting, and I would love to do some more reading on President Washington and the Founding Fathers.  I could go on for a while, but I let the pictures do most of the talking so I do not bore you!





We were not able to take any pictures while we were inside the house.  Apparently, Martha was very accustomed to fine living and she was not afraid to spend some money, and President Washington was very particular about how the house was built and maintained.  So, the home was beautifully decorated and had very fine furnishings and craftsmanship.

This "chair carriage" was the one of the fastest and most comfortable ways for a gentlemen to travel over the rough dirt/rock roads in Colonial America.

Scott likes to practice taking pictures with our zoom lense, so here are some of the nice pictures he captured:

The next two pictures are of a female cardinal and then a male cardinal.  I read that cardinal couples have specific territory and will mate for life.  We saw these two birds flirting in some trees, so we concluded they were mates.  It was cute/fun to watch.  Yes, I know I am being a little sappy, but we had not been on a date for 4 months, and I thoroughly enjoyed being able to spend time with my hubby and no kids!!!





No comments: