Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Snorkeling

Belize has the 2nd largest reef system in the world, so we could not pass up going on a snorkeling trip. Our tour guide is what I would call a Belizian hippie--long curly hair, gotee, tie-dye shirt, laid back attitude, dead-pan voice, etc.
We saw a manatee, . . .
. . . a lot of sting rays and a MILLION conch shells on the reef floor, . . .

. . . some sea turtles, . . .

. . . and probably about 10-15 nurse sharks all at once.

Our guide fed the sharks some fish to attract them, and YES, we did jump in and swim around after they were done eating! These nurse sharks are scavengers and rather docile, so it is common to see many other sea creatures swimming around them.

I guess after leading tours for 20 years, you get really comfortable around a lot of sea creatures. Like I said, a Belizian hippie.

The coral was beautiful.



My sweet boy and underwater photographer.

And here is a picture of Dori for Peter.

1 comment:

Kellie said...

Wow great pictures Rachel! Looks like you guys had a blast. I have always wanted to go to Belize so thanks for convincing me even more.