Monday, May 5, 2014

New Orleans

For the first time since we moved to Louisiana over a year ago, we finally made it to the French Quarter area of New Orleans.  I guess we have never gone before because we did not know if just Scott and I could deal with the kids by ourselves.  We probably could have but it was very nice to have more adults around for extra help. 

Doug and Kris outside in the courtyard of the French Quarter Visitor's Center.

Grandma Flamm with the Rigster, Miss Adeline and Peter
She is amazing, I cannot believe she did 7 kids in 10 years!  Four kids in 6 years is killing me right now.

In the visitor's center, they had old phones to listen to some jazz music.  I told the kids that they were old telephones and Peter said, "these aren't phones."  I realized that my kids do not even realize what a corded phone is.  I guess I am getting old.

It was cold and windy so I had to squeeze Reuben into my jacket.  I looked a little silly, oh well.

This little baby boy was excellent during almost all of our outings.  I guess he is making up for all of those rotten times the first two months of his life.

Rachel, Scott and Reuben next to the "Mighty Mississippi" River.

I love this picture of Peter on the banks of the Mississippi.  He is growing up so fast!

Grandpa Flamm kindly pushed the stroller for me, thank you!

Here is what a typical street in the French Quarter looks like during tourist season: narrow, busy, dirty and eclectic.

There are a lot of fun and unique shops.  I would love to go into this store some day.

It would be fun to stay in this hotel, don't you think?

Peter was so excited to find that there was a street with his name.  It is so fun to see him discover the world of reading.

The Saint Louis Cathedral next to Jackson Square

Andrew Jackson Statue
Andrew Jackson defeated the British in the War of 1812 with an army of free African Americans, Tennessee and Kentucky riflemen, Louisiana militia and pirates/smugglers.  What an unusual combination of people!

We enjoyed jazz music from some street musicians.

I heard that Southern Candymakers was one of the best places to get pralines.  I have decided that I am not a praline person, but their tortes were delicious (and very expensive!).

Looking at this picture gives me hope that I will someday get the hang of four kids.  I think I look fairly put together in this picture.

My mom will probably be embarrassed that I am putting this picture up.  She mentioned that she was curious about Bourbon Street because you often hear about it when people talk about New Orleans.  I insisted that we take a picture of her, my Dad and Marissa on Bourbon Street when we first entered.  After three blocks of walking along it, we decided this street was much too offensive for our eyes.  We all decided this would be our first and last walk down Bourbon Street!  So glad my kids were to young and naive to understand some of the stuff we saw, oops!

 Scott and Peter entertained themselves with this long-nose mask while us girls did some mask shopping.  My mom, Marissa, and I had so much fun trying on and buying masks!

Here are my Dad, Mom and Marissa eating some beignets at the original Cafe du Monde.

What a cute picture!  Daddy feeding his baby girl a yummy beignet.

Scott, Peter and Rigby making a powdery mess!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your kids are so adorable. I want to wrap that little Reuben in my jacket and take him home with me. Is that creepy? Miss you!!