Monday, May 5, 2014

Rosedown Plantation

Here is Rosedown Plantation in Francisville, Louisiana.

This plantation has about ninety percent of its original furnishings.  It was build in 1834 and was passed down to family until 1956 when a couple from Houston, the Underwoods, bought it.  The Underwoods used $10 million of their own money to restore much of the house to be as accurate as possible.  Eventually, Rosedown was bought by the state of Louisiana in 2005 and is now a historic landmark.  At its height of cotton production, this plantation encompassed 3,455 acres and utilized 450 slaves.

Porches with rocking chairs is one of my favorite things about the South.
Mom, Adeline, Marissa, Peter, Dad and Rigby playing games on my phone

A picturesque view from the top balcony of the oak-lined lane.

The kids were wonderfully behaved!  I plugged Rigby and Peter into the games on my phone, Reuben chilled in the baby backpack carrier and Miss Adeline . . .

. . . was securely restrained in Grandma's arms.  Grandma still has those strong mom arms; thanks Mom!

There were so many breakable things everywhere.  One wrong move from the kids could have been a disaster.  Again, thank goodness they were angels.  Probably not the greatest place to bring young kids.  
This beautiful wallpaper mural in the entrance was hand-painted in France I believe.


This medallion was on the ceiling of the guest bedroom.

This was my favorite "clever features" in this house.  A large funnel  on the roof collected rainwater which would rain down through the shower head on this box when the cord was pulled.  This amenity really was years ahead of its time.

This needlepoint picture is thought to have been sewn by Martha Washington and was probably one of the Turnbulls' most prized possessions.

Adeline decided she needed to visit the ladies' privy (bathroom), so my mom had to run in and grab her.  Wish she would have deposited her little present in here then I would not have had to change a diaper full of diarrhea just a mere ten minutes after this.  I had my share of poopy diapers this day between Adeline and Reuben!

Me, Reuben, Adeline, Peter, Rigby

Under protest, our photographer had his picture taken.  You look pretty handsome in this picture, Dad; I am glad Mom made you sit down for a picture!

Aunt Moo, Adeline, Rigby, Peter
One of my favorite thing about this area is the Spanish Moss everywhere-just beautiful.

If you are ever wanting to visit a great plantation, I would highly recommend this place.  It was beautiful and the tour guides were great!

No comments: