Sunday, September 25, 2011

Liberty & Carthage Jail

We stopped at Liberty Jail on the way to Nauvoo from the airport in Missouri. Here are Peter, Rigby and I.

This is a replica of the original Liberty Jail. The caretaker of the jail lived upstairs, while the prisoners lived in the basement.

There was a cold stone floor with dirty straw and only two small openings with bars that were probably no more than 6 inches by 2 feet large.

The walls consisted of 2 feet mortared stone, 1 foot loose stones, and 1 foot large wood beams. They received little or not food that was sometimes poisoned, and once were given human flesh to eat. They were imprisoned for 4 1/2 months during the winter, and had very few visitors. This place always humbles me.

On the way back to the airport, we were able to stop by Carthage Jail. I was ready to go home at this point (I was missing my hubby's fabulous help with the kids) and Rigby was done being dragged here, there, and everywhere, so I did not get much out of the tour. I had not realized before this tour that Joseph and his companions were very good friends and well respected by the caretaker and his family. Their imprisonment sounded much more pleasant in comparison to Liberty Jail; unfortunately, the end result was death for Hyrum and Joseph, instead of release.

Peter, Rigby and I in front of Hyrum and Joseph's statue at Carthage Jail.
Peter with his Great Grandma and Great Grandpa Farrow.

No comments: