Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Grandpa Farrow's Funeral

My grandpa had been feeling unwell for a few months because of a blood infection and had a fall in April, so between those two things and his age (95 years old), he passed away on May 8th. He lived a good life and I am so grateful for his righteous example. As he got older, he was unable to do the family history work he once did; so even though I miss him, I am happy to know he is doing the work he loves now. I love you so much grandpa and I cannot wait to give you a big hug again someday!

Funeral

The Viewing

The Luncheon

Grandma Farrow and all of the children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren that were able to attend the funeral

Burial
I was unable to attend the burial, so I got some pictures from my mom so I could still document it in our blog book.

I love these next two pictures. They show the love and innocence of little children for me so well.

Two of Kristen's boys giving Grandma Farrow a comforting hug.

Uncle Evan, Grandma Farrow, Mom, Uncle Ken

Grandma Farrow with all the children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren that were able to attend the burial.


History

My grandpa served in World War II. He arrived on Omaha Beach, France in the second wave of soldiers on D-Day.

This is one of my favorite stories that he shared about the war:
"The battalion I was in had just overtaken a small town in Germany.  It was a hard fought battle and after they had finished their clean-up procedures, as they usually do, we were sitting on a door step talking about what had happened that day.  I had a funny feeling inside of me that I should move away from where we were sitting.  I told my other buddies about this feeling and they all laughed and teased me about being a holy Mormon.  This feeling was so strong that I decided to go down some stairs that were in a building just outside on that same porch.  No sooner had I descended that last step than a bomb shell exploded just outside on that same porch.  It scared me so much that I ran up the stairs to see what had happened and found all of my buddies had been hit and that a few had been killed.  To some people, this may seem like a horse story but I know it to be true."

He was able to serve a mission before his service in the army. I remember him telling me once that it had been several years since a young man had served from his home town in Summit, Utah. He told his bishop that he was very determined to serve a mission. This always impressed me because I know his mother had recently passed away; also, he was also able to be a righteous example to his sisters and three older brothers.

Grandpa always referred to Grandma as his queen. They were married for 66 years here on earth, but more importantly they are married for eternity. I love you Grandma and Grandpa!



No comments: